Sunday, October 25, 2009

A Funny Logic (Rough Draft)

This is a poem that started last night as free-association writing, a.k.a. stream-of-consciousness, whatever-pops-in-your-head-first writing. October 2 a.m. is a productive time to be thinking about summer. So what else can I say about this poem? It's a rough draft and I can credit the repetition to inspiration from someone in my poetry class. I like how it ended in a strange kind of love poem.
I've been using the image of birds a lot since I saw this very large flock pick up and fly off a branch somewhere near St. John's, MI, when I was in my car. I probably should have been watching the road instead of the world around me. But that's what poets do, Officer.

A Funny Logic

Summer made you drip
like a leaf on a tree
like a leaf on a tree
Your body has to run inside these colors.
It has to exhale
flocks of sparrows
from a bough
that ripples

Sand in my hands
cupped like the bowl
of your hips.
You chose me.
You chose me
to jump with
and hold your breath
like a leaf on a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment